Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 30, 2009

A rose by any other name...

The LORD answered Moses, "I will do what you have asked, because I am pleased with you, and I know you by name." (Exodus 33:17)
From One Week

Richie and I decided to name our babygirl "Naomi." We both liked the idea of having a Biblical name for our child, whether it be a boy or a girl. There aren't as many options for female names, but this one stood out to me as having multiple qualities: it's historic yet modern, both classic and exotic, and it's not unusual, but it's still unique.
We also decided to go with the Filipino tradition of her middle name being my maiden name.

When I first mentioned the name Naomi to Richie, he immediately said, "Her nickname could be Mimi" :) I thought that made the name even cuter! Plus, it flows really well with our last name. So we've been calling her Naomi/Mimi while she was in my womb and told people that was her name as well.

At some point during the pregnancy, we played with the idea of having a back-up name, just in case she didn't look like a Naomi when she popped out. A popular Filipino trend is to combine the sounds/letters of the parents' names to come up with the child's name. Richie liked the name Kari Lee (pronounced like Carrie), but I wasn't sure how I felt about the baby also having Lee in her first name. At first I came up with the name Karina, but he already knew someone by that name on Guam. Our alternate name ended up being Karisa/Karissa... with the nickname Kari. Although we had it in mind, we rarely spoke it aloud.

Well, shortly after she was born, Richie and I took a good look at her and asked her what she would like her name to be. When we said Karisa, she actually made a frown on her face! Then, when we asked, "what about Naomi?" she let out a tiny grunt :) Soon after that, Richie followed her to the transitional nursery, where the nurses asked what her name is. Richie said that her eyes would respond to the nurses when they called her Naomi! She must have heard us all along :)

Her given name really does suit her. While we were at the hospital, many of the nurses and lab techs commented on what a
beautiful baby she is. I know that being her mother, I'm biased to believe that, but these random people have seen hundreds of babies, and I don't think they were just trying to be nice and make small-talk :) Her pediatrician even commented on Mimi's features as being "delicate and dainty." Also, Naomi's personality is truly pleasant. She hardly cries, unless she needs a diaper change or if she's hungry. At night, when she wakes up, she whimpers rather quietly instead of full-on crying. We love to hold and caress her, but she is also content laying in her crib, sitting up in her Boppy, or chillin' in her swing. Naomi is delightful in so many ways, that we even hadn't imagined! Just watching her sleeping brings us such joy, but especially when she smiles or gazes into our eyes, our hearts just melt!

Sweet Naomi: that she is!

From 10 Days

No comments: